“A wrong note played timidly is a wrong note.
A wrong note played with authority is an interpretation.”
We are excited that you are interested in joining our family of talented musicians who are passionate about creating music together! We hope to make your audition experience as smooth as possible by providing all the information you need to know. Auditions take place during the first week of classes each fall.
- On the Duke Music Department website, there is a form on which you can indicate early interest in auditioning for DSO (as well as any other Duke Music ensembles). Filling out this form is not necessary for signing up to audition, but we highly encourage you to fill it out nevertheless because doing so allows the Music Department to contact you as soon as the official audition sign-up form is live!
- Audition sign-ups happen in early August– the audition sign-up form will be posted on the same page as the early interest form. Please fill out this form and pick an audition time for your respective instrument.
- Please expect to play the following at your audition:
- A solo of your choice (approx. 5 minutes worth)
- This audition also counts as your audition for private lessons, if you are interested
- This audition is also your seating audition for the academic year
- Returning members of DSO must re-audition each fall
- Exceptions can be made if you are studying abroad during the fall semester, in which case please email Professor Davidson to arrange a re-audition for the spring.
Relax and take a deep breath. We know you may be nervous but everyone is cheering for you!
We look forward to seeing you soon!